Port Ellen Feature Page
By Ferry to Port Ellen
For many visitors, Port Ellen is their first acquaintance with the Isle of Islay. When travelling from Kennacraig to Port Ellen the first view of Islay appears on the horizon when leaving West Loch Tarbert and the Isle of Gigha is passed on the left. About one hour before arrival on Islay the first of the three southern whisky distilleries become visible on the east coast of Islay, this is Ardbeg. A few moments later Lagavulin appears on Islay's coast and Laphroaig is visible after the Isle of Texa has been passed. The ferry now makes a turn to the right (starboard) and to the left the Oa peninsula rises from the sea with its impressive cliffs up to 200 metres near the American monument and the Mull of Oa. This monument commemorates the shipwreck of the troopship 'Tuscania' and the 266 WW1 American servicemen who lost their lives when the ship was torpedoed in February, 1918. Also on the left the beautiful Port Ellen lighthouse appears. The lighthouse was commissioned in 1832 by Walter Frederick Campbell in loving memory of Lady Eleanor Campbell. Along a track past the lighthouse are the Singing Sands and Carraig Fhada B&B at the side of Kilnaughton Bay with the Port Ellen warehouses on its shore.
Port Ellen History
This lovely town built around Leodamas Bay was founded in 1821 by Walter Frederick Campbell, and named after his wife Ellinor or Eleanor, later shortened to Port Ellen. Just outside Port Ellen on Charlotte Street, you can find Ramsay Hall, built by and named after the family who, in the 19th century, owned the estates in the southern part of Islay. The area around Port Ellen holds a very varied and interesting range of Archaeological sites covering the Neolithic, Bronze and Iron Age periods as well as more recent examples of human settlement. For example, there are standing stones at Kilbride, a fort at Borraichill Mor, several chambered cairns, and a chapel at Cill Tobar Lasrach.
Port Ellen is the second largest town on Islay after Bowmore and is situated in a sheltered part of the island, offering views to the Oa Peninsula and to Kilnaughton Bay, which is named after the chapel ruins and burial ground at the end of the bay beside the road to the Oa peninsula. Port Ellen has several shops, a butcher, hotels, restaurants and pubs, accommodation, a garage, post office and information office. Every thursday in the summer season from 4th May to 5th October, a handcraft market is held in Columba Hall in Frederick Crescent, next to the Co-op supermarket. From time to time the travelling cinema, Screen Machine, visits the island and parks for showings opposite Ramsay Hall, which is located next to the Port Ellen Playing Fields. Another prominent feature of Port Ellen is the old hotel on the corner of Charlotte Street and Frederick Crescent. This hotel is currently undergoing complete renovation and restoration to it's former glory, planning to re-open in 2009. The Port Ellen Marina provides a safe comfortable haven for yachtsmen passing through the Sound of Jura.
Port Ellen Maltings
A prominent building of Port Ellen is the former whisky distillery, now Port Ellen Maltings. Here most of the malts are produced for the majority of the distilleries on the island. The maltings are performed according to the specs from the distilleries. The warehouses from the former Port Ellen Distillery are located near Port Ellen Maltings. On the Islay's Lost Distilleries page you can find more information about the Port Ellen Distillery.
On the road heading east from Port Ellen, a narrow lane on the left leads to Kilbride farm. In the field, a few hundred metres from the main road is a prominent standing stone of almost 4.5m high with Cnoc Mor in the background. This area was a sacred place in much earlier days. Following the main road east you reach the three southern distilleries of Ardbeg, Laphroaig and Lagavulin. The Lagavulin Distillery is located in a secluded bay overlooking the former stronghold of the Lords of the Isles being Dunyvaig Castle. Further east is Kildalton Church and High Cross, Claggain Bay and Ardtalla, where the road ends.
Port Ellen Local Information: Pictures of Port Ellen in the Islay Gallery
Find Accommodation in Port Ellen
Activities in the area
Restaurants and Pubs in Port Ellen
Map of Port Ellen
Use the controls on the dynamic map below to discover Port Ellen using Google Streetview
Show Larger Map