Below is a selection of popular walking routes on Islay complete with starting point, where to park and the route.
- The walks are graded (see categories further below), but are suitable for most people, including families with younger children.
- Weather conditions can change fast, so be prepared for rain, mist and cold, even on a sunny summers day. Check the forecast and tell people where you’re going.
- Having a detailed map, proper footwear and warm clothing is also strongly advised, especially on the higher graded walks (moderate and strenuous).
- Finally, respect the land where you’re walking, keep dogs on leads and be careful not to disturb livestock… Take Nothing but Pictures - Leave Nothing but Footprints - Kill Nothing but Time.
- Alternatively, Donald James McPhee does Guided Walks all over the island, for single persons and groups. For more info visit Islay Outdoors
|Machir Bay/Grannies Rock||3||Moderate||Beach/Hill|
|Sanaigmore Bay||0.7-2||Very Easy||Beach|
|Saligo Bay||0.5||Very Easy||Beach|
|Loch Gruinart Woodland||1||Very Easy||Woodland|
|The Singing Sands||1||Very Easy||Beach|
|Port an Eas||2||Easy||Beach|
|The Big Strand||1-6||Easy||Beach|
|Ardtalla Beach||1||Very Easy||Beach|